Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Scheduling Perspective

Since my sister has been diagnosed with Louie, calendars in my world and hers have been changed drastically. They say Today.

Today is not meant to have a morbid connotation. Yes, there’s always a possibility that Louie will completely take her life more than he does now, but then again so could Mr. Volvo driving next to me or Ms. E. Coli chillin’ on the counter. Death is inevitable. If this is not your reality, let me know. I’d like to know your secret of immortality.

Today is the reality we live in because we don’t know how energy levels, work requirements, special doctor or massage appointments, or even regular daily commitments will alter schedules and needs within a 24-hour period. Despite all efforts on her part to get good rest, eat right, nap, exercise when she can, take meds, and nap some more, my sister can’t always control her level of pain, fatigue, or energy. This is maddening for both of us for different reasons, of course, but still difficult to handle for ladies who are competently in control. We like a plan. We like to look toward the future. We like to prioritize efforts so more fun and productivity can be done later. But we can’t always.

So today I thought about Today. I realized how much of a scheduling perspective it required. I could see Today as a brief moment in time that isn’t able to offer a long enough period to do and say and see everything I want. But I could also see Today as a gift. Obviously, Today represents one more day of life, full of opportunities. But Today also requires focus and intentionality because Tomorrow is uncertain. Focus and intentionality are difficult sometimes mainly because as humans we’re made to run on autopilot a lot. But focus and intentionality are great because they can block out wasted energy of worry, anger, self-pity, anxiety, or self-deception. With only Today to live and handle, focus and intentionality make it possible for everyone, my sister and I and the rest of humanity, to live fully as we are able. We are given a chance to grasp opportunities to care for each other, our world, and ourselves. If Tomorrow were the only subject on our minds today, these feelings of uncertainty would most likely keep us from doing or feeling or knowing anything worthwhile. Some of the best things in life, like a new personal record in track, a warm cookie or a hug have to be experienced in the now of Today.

My sister has the real burden of scheduling because she has to consult Louie, the schedule slayer. I just get the emails or texts with the updates and thus write most things in pencil. But we both have something that Louie simply takes for granted and that’s Today. We have the benefit of perspective that Today is as an abundant a time frame as years and decades. Live Today. Sleep it. Share it. Love it.

No comments:

Post a Comment